HBW Fitness Friday Instructor Spotlight
This Friday we shine the spotlight on, Michele Keeney, a fit, fun and fantastic yogi mom!
Becoming an Instructor
1. What brought you to Richmond? I was born and raised in this amazing city! Choosing to raise my three children here as well!
2. When did you join your gym and why? I have always belonged to a gym, but didn't use it very much until I discovered Yoga. One of the many benefits of being a Yoga Instructor is that I get to practice for free where I teach, and I love to practice at the studios I teach.
3. Why do you exercise? Until I found yoga, I exercised because I was told I had to in order to be healthy and stay young. Since I found the practice of yoga, I do it because it makes me feel pretty darn amazing and it never stops challenging me!
4. What is your favorite format that you teach? My favorite yoga class to teach is a creative vinyasa that I play around with for days before instructing it. I love to see people questioning whether their bodies will actually do what is being asked of it and then their surprised facial expressions when they get it!
Getting to know Michele
1. What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone?
Sense of humor, Work ethic, Dependability
2. Type of music you like most? I love all kinds of music, I can't pin point just one. I love to create new playlist for my yoga classes.
3. What’s your favorite “healthy” food, store or restaurant to go to? I eat most of my meals at home.....and to be totally honest, I shop where it's convenient for me at the time.
4. What do you like to do on weekends? I love my weekends! I try to catch up on my practice, or go to our river house, take the paddle board to the James River or sneak to the pool for a few hours. I try to get outside as much as possible when the weather allows for it.
5. What/Who Inspires You? I try to surround myself with people who inspire me on a daily basis. Whether it's on the mat or off. My children never cease to amaze me with their accomplishments and the students in my classes inspire me every time they show up on their mats. The teachers I'm honored to work along side also inspire me! I'm surrounded by inspiration!
6. In the morning you can’t live without…It's so cliche, but coffee! Especially before my 6:00 am classes!
7. Favorite place to go in Richmond? My favorite place to go in Richmond is the James River. My mom took us there when we were growing up and it brings back fun, peaceful memories. I also took my children there and we still all go together from time to time. I like the flat water side more these days because we like to do yoga on our paddle board.
8. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy? I think I would buy a beach house.....teach yoga on the beach for free and practice, practice, practice!
9. What is your go-to favorite exercise? Yoga, duh!
10. What is your favorite brand or favorite workout gear? I have different brands of yoga pants for different styles of yoga! (I am a little obsessed with yoga pants) But as of right now, the Align II from lululemon is my absolute favorite for hot yoga, rocket yoga and vinyasa!
You can find Michele gettin' down dog at:
ACAC Wellness & Fitness Center
The Hot Yoga Barre
The Yoga Dojo
Her full schedule can be found at www.yogawithmichele.com