In today’s world, it’s easy to become stressed. From work, to bills, to kids and everything in between there’s a lot to stay on top of and stay calm. Not as easy at it sounds! It’s common knowledge that there are a number of tactics to diminish your stress - but did you know food can actually be key? Here are 10 surprising foods that will help you to find your zen and cut back your stress levels.
1. Steam some asparagus; it’s high in folate and has been found to reduce anxiety and depression.
2. Enjoy that guacamole because avocados have a substance that specifically blocks intestinal absorption of certain fats that cause oxidative damage.
3. Pick some fresh berries that are packed with the antioxidant anthocyanin and vitamin C which has been shown to lower blood pressure and cortisol levels.
4. Munch on some cashews that are loaded with zinc which has been linked to reducing both anxiety and depression.
5. Slurp back some oysters and boost your zinc intake even more.Since our bodies have no way of storing zinc, it's important to get some every day so double up on the oyster and cashews!
6. Sip on some tea; multiple studies have found the effects of chamomile tea to be relaxing and stress reducing.
7. Who doesn’t love chocolate? Dark chocolate, in particular, has been found to lower blood pressure, as it contains two important types of antioxidants,polyphenols and flavonols.
8. Season up your food with garlic! It contains chemicals that neutralize free radicals (particles that damage our cells, cause diseases, and encourage aging) and may reduce or even help prevent some of the damage the free radicals cause over time.
9. Savor whole grain or steel cut oats as they’re a complex carbohydrate and will cause your brain to produce serotonin, a feel-good chemical. Serotonin will create a soothing feeling that helps overcome stress.
10. Crunch some walnuts. These slightly sweet morsels contain alpha-linolenic acid, an essential omega-3 fatty acid, and other polyphenols that have been shown to help prevent memory loss.
Tips for enjoying these delights:
Start off your day with whole grain oatmeal topped with berries in your cereal or yogurt
Snack on a walnuts and cashew nut mix
Slurp back some oysters and share some guacamole and chips at happy hour
Season your steamed asparagus with garlic and lemon for a zesty dinner side.
Wind down with a cup of chamomile tea and square of dark chocolate
So what’s the key here? Eat up to wind down!