HBW Fitness Friday Instructor Spotlight
This Friday we shine the spotlight on the totally crazy fit and strong, Joyner Jones. Joyner can be found teaching various methods of yoga and barre.
Becoming an Instructor
What brought you to Richmond? I grew up in North Chesterfield and returned to Richmond after graduating from UVA to attend graduate school and VCU. Currenty I reside in Glen Allen, VA
When did you join your gym/ studio and why? As a current School Social Worker, I am most fulfilled by opportunities that foster mutually beneficial relationships. I view life as an evolving pursuit of purpose and find incomparable value in self-reflection, growth, and being a part of others’ growth. I completed my 200-hour yoga teacher training in March of 2015 to find balance and guidance. This journey also led me to my first barre class where I immediately fell in love. Having started my practice in a hot studio, I could not wait to join the HYB team where I am able to blend my yoga and barre training with love for the heat to bring clients amazing sweat sessions.
Why do you exercise? To inspire and be inspired. And I LOVE pizza …as often as I can get away with scarfing it down :)
What is your favorite format that you teach? HOT Barre! I have always been a heated studio girl and I am hooked on this methodology that allows yoga to be incorporated into an isometric fitness sequence in order to maximize the results that the community is looking for.
Getting to know Joyner
What are the top three qualities that draw you to someone? Integrity, authenticity, and honesty
Type of music you like most? R&B
What’s your favorite “healthy” food, store or restaurant to go to? Carrabba’s has amazing low calorie, gluten free options. But to be honest, nutrition is not my strong point. Again, I love pizza, lol.
What do you like to do on weekends? Brunch! Nothing like a morning sweat session to earn bottomless mimosas.
5. What/Who Inspires You? My mommy. As a recent survivor of breast cancer (she is currently undergoing radiation) I am so thankful to her for letting God use her to put so many things into perspective for me. To help me get through the lessons that have been brought before me. To give me the push that I needed to bring my best self to all that I do and power through when I feel like giving up. To reinforce my faith, be inspired and be able to inspire others. To set an example of strength, empowerment, and everything that I strive to be. She was my strength even when she was weak, and for that I am forever grateful and inspired.
6. In the morning you can’t live without… A good sweat session.
7. Favorite place to go in Richmond? Endorphasm. The best HIIT experience you will find.
8. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy? My own studio. That is my long-term life goal.
9. What is your go-to favorite exercise? Plank. Effective, full body workout with a gazillion fun variations to help keep it fresh.
10. What is your favorite brand or favorite workout gear? lululemon athletica!
(You can find Joyner at The Hot Yoga Barre on Tuesday and Thursday mornings)
Check out details of the studio and schedule by clicking on the link below!
The Hot Yoga Barre